“When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” - Jean Shinoda Bolen
We live in strange and unprecedented times. And as moms and caregivers, we have a lot on our plates, but this doesn't mean that we should forget about taking time for self-care. Taking care of yourself takes many forms, and aromatherapy is one of the best ways to take care of your mind and body at the same time.
I strongly believe that the power and subconscious influence of aromatherapy is enough to boost your mood and help kickstart your day or relax in the evening so you can end the day recentered and refocused.
Aromatherapy has been used for centuries for a wide range of benefits—for stress reduction, boosting mood and energy, relieving pain. Chances are you’ve already experienced the effects of aromatherapy without realizing it. Massage therapists often use aromatherapy to help relax you.
In today's post, we want to highlight the benefits aromatherapy can have on both your mind and body. So, whether you are looking to bring more positivity or harmony into your life, our guide will help you reach your goals.
How can aromatherapy help you?
Aromatherapy is a holistic healing treatment that helps your mind, body and spirit. It involves using aromatic essential oils derived from botanicals to promote both physical and emotional well-being. The tradition of aromatherapy is an old one, with its history dating back thousands of years to ancient China, India and Egypt.
The early Egyptians are credited for distilling oils from plants to embalm the dead, and the practice of using aromatic plant oils as mood enhancers has roots in traditional Chinese medicine. Today, aromatherapy is widely used as a technique with multiple benefits that can help to balance and harmonize your body and mind.
Aromatherapy can have a big impact on our emotions. Studies have shown that our sense of smell plays an important role in the physiological effects of our mood, stress and cognitive function. This can help to relieve anxiety and depression, manage chronic pain, alleviate headaches and migraines, improve sleep quality, boost immunity and so many more.
These benefits are hard to ignore, which is why we use them in our products. The effects of aromatherapy not only work through your sense of smell, but also through skin absorption. So, you can breathe in the aromatic steam of our Shower Melts as you take a shower or as you rub our nourishing Body Butters into your skin.
The benefits of essential oils
Essential oils, used in aromatherapy, are concentrated compounds extracted from plants through cold pressing, steam or water distillation. More than a hundred essential oils exist, and each of them is associated with boosting an element of mental or physical health, including enhancing energy, boosting focus and increasing motivation.
Here are some oils that are commonly used in aromatherapy:
- Peppermint essential oil: Said to relieve joint and muscle fatigue, open up breathing passageways and uplift your mood. You’ll find peppermint essential oils in our Energize & Deep Breath Shower Melts, Lip Balms and Bath Bombs.
- Rosemary essential oil: A great way to start your day as it aids in mental clarity and concentration. It also helps with skin sensitivities due to its anti-inflammatory benefits. We use this in our Rosemary & Mint Diffuser Bracelet Oil and in some of our handcrafted natural soaps.
- Patchouli essential oil: Believed to relieve stress and anxiety and clear negative emotions, and also has anti-inflammatory benefits for your skin. We love using patchouli – you can find it in many of our handcrafted soaps, our Get Grounded Shower Melt and our Citrus Patchouli Diffuser Bracelet Oil
- Lavender essential oil: Known to improve your mood, reduce stress, calm and relax. We use it extensively in our natural soaps, and in our Be Calm Shower Melt, Mineral Bath Soak and Lip Balms.
- Coffee essential oil: Great for uplifting your mood, stimulating the senses and does wonders for your skin – antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and has skin tightening effects that combat the effects of aging. Check out our Coffee Collection.
Essential oils have extensive benefits depending on how they’re used, but they affect everyone differently and may not result in the same outcomes or benefits. They are extremely potent, and misuse can result in skin sensitivities.
It’s hard to ignore the benefits of aromatherapy, which is why we love incorporating essential oils into our products. Here's a few to get you started.
Our signature Shower Melts were designed to harness the benefits of aromatherapy through the use of different essential oils. In fact, we’ve named all of our shower melts after how they’re supposed to make you feel. By starting the day surrounded by the aromas and warmth of our shower melts you can choose whether you want to get grounded, clear your mind, or get pumped and energized, and ready to tackle whatever the day throws at you.
Our new Diffuser Bracelet Oils make it easy to get your daily dose of aromatherapy. We infuse a combination of essential oils, designed to uplift you and boost your energy, in avocado oil. Pop a few drops on one of our stone bracelets and enjoy wafts of Rosemary & Mint or Citrus Patchouli, without the direct contact on your skin.
Immerse yourself in steaming aromatic water from our blend of essential oils and botanical extracts in our Mineral Bath Soak and Bath Bombs. Sink into blissful waters as you take in the heavenly scents and let the blend of soothing oils, muscle-relaxing salts and pore-cleansing clays work wonders on your skin.
Make it your Munday!